Want to apply for multiple courses? Click HERE
Lunch will be provided.
To enable participants to gain more confidence in fulfilling their role by providing them with a “job description”; and raise awareness and understanding of education and governance issues.
The course also offers an excellent opportunity to meet with other newly appointed governors from across the local authority and share experiences and ideas.
Through a variety of activities, presentations discussions and handouts governors will learn about:
- The overall purpose and responsibilities of the governing body and its three key roles
- The changing education system and how to cope with all the jargon
- What the “strategic role” involves
- The range of powers and duties of governing bodies
- The role of the governing body in school improvement planning and policy-making
- How the governing body supports and challenges the work of the school
- What the governing body’s role is in monitoring and evaluating the progress of pupils
- Why, how and to whom governing bodies are accountable
- The role of head teachers and how they account to the governing body through providing information, reports and evidence
- The course is aimed at those relatively new to school governance but can also be seen to be a refresher for more experienced governors
Disabled access is to the rear of the building from the rear car park.
Saturday 17 November 9.15-3.45