Gemma Park is the Head of the Virtual School that coordinates the support for children in care who attend Bury schools.
On Monday 22nd November 2021 Gemma will lead a virtual training session that will cover the following key themes:
- The educational context of children in care: attachment, trauma and typical barriers to learning
- The national context: educational outcomes for children in care
- Schools’ statutory responsibilities towards children in care: the role of the Virtual School, Designated Teacher for looked after children and the Personal Education Plan (PEP) process
- The Pupil Premium Grant for children in care: conditions of allocation, appropriate spending and monitoring the impact
- The role of the Virtual School in supporting previously looked-after children and children with a social worker
The session will be run on Zoom and will start at 6.00pm and will run for approximately 90 minutes. Governors/trustees will have the opportunity to ask questions and discuss any potential issues that you are facing in your specific schools.
Access to the meeting can be made through the link below:
Topic: Governor Training – Looked After Children
Time: Nov 22, 2021 06:00 PM London
Join Zoom Meeting
Meeting ID: 849 5401 9169 Passcode: 163128
Governors/Trustees are requested to use their full name and school when accessing the meeting. Instructions on how to do this will be provided at the start of the meeting.
On a slightly separate subject, the local authority have booked a training session from Trauma-Informed Schools UK (TISUK) on attachment/trauma/mental health training for schools. It is running on 29th November, 2-5pm via Zoom. Although it is primarily intended for school staff, it will cover the neuroscience and psychology of trauma and the impact it can have on children/young people plus strategies schools can use to help overcome it – so it might well be useful for those involved in governance. Governors/trustees would be very welcome to participate. If you want to sign up, please fill in your details here and Gemma will make sure you get the Zoom link for the 29th Nov.